librarian/assistant librarian/ information resource
- Plan and deliver client-centered programs and services such as special services for corporate clients, storytelling for children, newsletters, or programs for special groups.
- Negotiate contracts for library services, materials, and equipment.
- Respond to customer complaints, taking action as necessary.
- Arrange for interlibrary loans of materials not available in a particular library.
- Help library patrons conduct research and find the information they need
- Teach classes about information resources and help users evaluate search results and reference materials
- Organize library materials so they are easy to find, and maintain collections
- Plan programs for different audiences, such as storytelling for young children
- Develop and index databases of library materials
- Research new books and materials by reading book reviews, publishers’ announcements, and catalogs
- Code, classify, and catalog books, publications, audiovisual aids, and other library materials based on subject matter or standard library classification systems.
- Develop library policies and procedures.
- Confer with colleagues, faculty, and community members and organizations to conduct informational programs, make collection decisions, and determine library services to offer.
- Develop, maintain, and troubleshoot information access aids, such as databases, annotated bibliographies, web pages, electronic pathfinders, software programs, and online tutorials.
- Check books in and out of the library.
- Collect and organize books, pamphlets, manuscripts, and other materials in specific fields, such as rare books, genealogy, or music.
- Evaluate vendor products and performance, negotiate contracts, and place orders.
- Direct and train library staff in duties such as receiving, shelving, researching, cataloging, and equipment use.
- Evaluate materials to determine outdated or unused items to be discarded.
- Engage in professional development activities, such as taking continuing education classes and attending or participating in conferences, workshops, professional meetings, and associations.
- Author or publish professional articles, internal documents, and instructional materials.
- Compile lists of books, periodicals, articles, and audiovisual materials on particular subjects.